Having worked for a medium scale company using MIPS SOCs for thin
clients, I regretfully vouch for this as correct to the bone. The
engineering involved in designing heat flow and other non software
aspects is labor of distinct quality and of
design-build-trash-design-rebuild iterations.

Finding the common ground between energy consumption and computing
strength is a royal pain of months on months, and when you realize you
need to redesign the board and cover....then we go back to the
mentioned above.

Even designing and boot strapping the production line is a royal pain.
Finding a trustworthe quality manufacturer is close to impossible in
other than mega volumes, and forget about integrating your production
line qa procedures if you are not big enough. And we did not discuss
defect rate of production line and.. and...

In short, yes, there is a very long way from POC to actual product.

-Sivan