2011/10/3 Hillel Lubman <shtetl...@gmail.com>:
> One point though looks problematic IMO:
>
> * That primary customers of the platform are device vendors - not end-users.
>
> The platform should in reality target both. Debian for example claims to be
> universal system, targeted as a meta distro, upon which other distros can be
> built (and there are many!), while in the same case providing a fully
> functional operating system for end user on its own. And Debian succeeds in
> that.
>
> Omitting the end user and expecting manufacturers to step in and work for
> example on UI and etc. failed in case of Meego as we can see. At least it
> failed for fully open UIs (if you count Nokia's attempt as one).
>
> If the system targets both - end user can take and use it on some compatible
> device using some available options of open UI environment to install
> (Plasma or something?), or manufacturer can take the core, put another UI on
> top and shape something else.

Let me try to outline this as it's meant and describe some terms. We
don't target end users as well, by itself, the core doesn't even boot
- you combine it with a hardware adaptation, for a device and an user
experience. The core seeks to be a vehicle towards well-performing
user experiences and providing interfaces for the hardware adaptation.

In short, we've learnt from the problems that MeeGo has had - that the
provided UX'es (netbook, handset, tablet) and hardware adaptations
tell very little of how the core actually performs and how good it is
for making products with or how the products built on it will be. Or
that the netbook reference UX doesn't even play mp3s. etc. Instead, I
want to have people show all the cool things they can do with the
core.

You should see any of those projects (HW adaptations, open UXes,
closed UXes, etc) surrounding the core as a vendor - ranging from
hobbyists to small to medium to big businesses building on top of the
core. The core-vendor relation is one that makes sure that there is
proper output from the core project and that people can use it to
build products, even if it's just an image for let's say a
BeagleBoard. That anyone can take the core and build a product. open
or closed.

BR
Carsten Munk