On 24 March 2010 18:39, Nils Faerber <nils.faer...@kernelconcepts.de> wrote:
> Wichmann, Mats D schrieb:
>> meego-dev-boun...@meego.com wrote:
>>> For this reason a social contract could help us, establishing a
>>> default requirements if you want  to integrate a component/driver in the
>>> MeeGo project.
>>>
>>> Maybe the social contract sounds very free-software "fanatic" for a
>>> company, but is one of the best warranties to offer a complete open
>>> source project.
>>>
>>> Besides, it would be a signal of commitment with the community, and it
>>> will encourage participation in the development.
>>
>> My completely personal, completely unofficial reaction is
>> that this would have a LOT of problems on the Tivoization
>> front, as it seems to me everybody below the netbook and
>> possible tablet type device is interested in some level of
>> locking down their image... Don't know if it looks that
>> way to the rest of you or I'm just being too pessimistic?
>
> A vendor lock is what every business wants to achieve. The "wet dream"
> of the suit and tie people - customers being forced to come back and
> spend their money with you and you alone.
>
> But those times are over.
> There is intrinsic *need* for it - there never was.
>
> They ended on the PC first and then went from PC to Server to mainframe
> to mobile devices and finally even mobile phones where one thought until
> recently that operators would force anything close. But they loosing power.
> A locked down system means that you will become the only one maintaining
> it. Being the only one mean that you have to implement everything on
> your own. The systems become more and more complex and feature rich so
> it gets more and more impossible to try and do it 100% on your own.
>
> And this is where open source comes into play.
> You can get tons of complex features free without your own development
> effort. This is what makes it so appealing. And this is why it succeeds.
>
> In some minds there is still this vendor lock idea existing. But it is
> changing, it just needs time.
>
> Also newer developments in hardware will make also embedded hardware
> easier to access and less intensive to port new software onto it. This
> will speed up Linux ports and spread it even further...
>

> I am convinced, openness will succeed - also in the business minds.
> It just takes time.

Doesn't look in this way when two big vendors ( Apple & Google) are
redirecting all the application stuff to the on-line markets ( to have
the complete control about the apps), and don't forget OVI store ( we
haven't enough information about it and the connection that it is
going to have in the MeeGo project).

Cheers,
Adrian.