On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 09:23, Ville M. Vainio <vivai...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Andrew Flegg <and...@bleb.org> wrote:
>
>> That's why I'm proposing that the language in the spec recognises that
>> MeeGo-compliant packages can have a canonical location (e.g.
>> "repository X") and can depend on anything else in that repository.
>
> This would not be completely accurate either. A manufacturer way want
> to create a special repository for packages that apps in their app
> store CAN depend on, and this is not necessarily the repository that
> the sold applications are downloaded from.

Would it be solved by introducing repository dependencies? i.e. if you
have repository X, you must have repository Y. Therefore a package can
depend on anything else in its canonical repository, and any
repository on which that repository depends.

And that all dependencies for a MeeGo-compliant package must be
MeeGo-compliant packages.

> - There will be a bunch of "meego compliant" applications that only
> depend on what is already in meego
>
> - There will be a bunch of noncompliant applications that will,
> nevertheless, be sold in app stores. MeeGo implementation should be
> compliant with meego spec even if it allows installation & sales of
> apps like this.

Do we know what the impact of a package *not* being MeeGo compliant
is? Will there be trademark issues if people say it's MeeGo-compatible
(or for MeeGo devices), for example? Will we say we don't want to
discuss any package which isn't MeeGo-compatible on the mailing lists
or fora? Or is it more of a notional badge *purely* to ensure
compatibility across different devices? If it's that, but it doesn't
cover the common case, it's efficacy will be reduced.

Cheers,

Andrew

--
Andrew Flegg -- mailto:and...@bleb.org http://www.bleb.org/