On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Ville M. Vainio <vivai...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Making Extras a "blessed" repository of packages would nicely solve that
> > issue - you can restrict further dependencies to "libraries which are
> > included in the core, or MeeGo compliant libraries available in Extras".
>
> It's unlikely that extras would be deemed bless-worthy; it's not
> controlled by central authority that could be blamed when things
> break. That's why we need a gatekeeper that is held responsible for
> the app developers (and will answer the angry phone calls late at
> night ;-).

Certainly - I don't think anyone expects Angry Birds 2 to depend on libfoo
from MeeGo Extras. I also understand Arjan's point that vendor X might
decide to include a libfoo in their particular blend on MeeGo UX and then
things would get tricky if libfoo also existed in Extras. The question is
still - how do we make repository 'owners', regardless if they are device
vendors, software companies or community efforts cooperate ? If it's just
MeeGo Core, and beyond that every man, woman and child for him/her/itself,
it will likely mean serious fragmentation from day 1 (do we really need to
go through the pains of various JSRs, Symbian API jungles all over again ?).
Should this central Extras maybe just be a 'reference' or upstream
repository from which then packages can be promoted to vendor/device
repositories (so from there on it's their community/QA/patchset/whatever) ?

Best regards,
Attila