On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 20:20:22 +0200
Sivan Greenberg <si...@omniqueue.com> wrote:

> Hi List,
>
>  Me and Javier talked about this a day ago, and I went on to find if
> there's something in Qt already to help app developers to do the right
> thing when their applications are out of focus, minimized or are
> brought back and visible again.
>
>  I did some questioning around #qt-labs and found out about this
> aforementioned[0] event (for me it is just a callback I reiplement to
> act on this event).
>
>  This may be a start but reading the reference (which could be a bit
> clearer) we're still missing the hide thing. To my understanding, this
> callback can help to know that an app that wishes to deliver "running
> in background" UX needs to maintain drawing until it is fired the
> "hide"[1] event.
>
> Now if I get this right the window manager or ux-launch or whatever is
> responsible for what the compositor did in Mamo, needs to call this
> event on the top level widget of an app (QMainWindow perhaps as an
> examle?) when it hides it away, so then the app itself knows it is
> safe to stop drawing and will continue upon receiving a showEvent.
> However, an ambiguity arises as the Qt reference states the hide
> events are also dispatched when a widget is minimized, so this also
> depends on what is the state of an app when it is shown in MeeGo/Maemo
> dashboard. (e.g. small windows instead of completely minimized as on
> the desktop) or what's the definition of "minimized" in the
> maemo/meego sense.
>
> Is any of this making sense, is it already implemented as so?

Does this address whether a widget is obscured by something else?

In some windowing systems large numbers of windows are visible, or
partially visible. In other windowing systems only a small number (like
say, one) are visible. The windows don't know this in Qt.

More generally it would be really nice if my application would know
what kind of device it is running on, *at run time*. And what kind of
display is used.  How large are things on the display.

If those things are unknown (as I think they are at present), it is not
practical to write applications once and have them work on different
types of devices.

And no, tons of #ifdefs don't count as "write once" :)

Bernd

> Thanks,
>
> -Sivan
> [0]: http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.6/qwidget.html#showEvent