On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 20:30:43 +0100
Thiago Macieira <thi...@kde.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 15 de December de 2010 14:19:00 Bernd Stramm wrote:
> > This seems to be the current situation, applications take a wild
> > guess to decide what they are running on.
> >
> > This means different applications take different guesses.
> >
> > It would be really really nice if there was a better way. You know,
> > something reliable and/or organized.
>
> I agree. Tell me which information will help you make the right
> decision.

It would help to know the physical size of the display.

Perhaps in millimeters, or perhaps just as a category.

Something like "theater-size", "desktop-size", "pocket-size",
"fingernail-size". Each of these different types would need
different UI designs.

And similar to what Kate wrote, it could help to know characteristics
of the available input device(s) and pointing devices.

--
Bernd Stramm
bernd.str...@gmail.com