On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 11:36 -0700, Wichmann, Mats D wrote:

> meego-dev-boun...@meego.com wrote:
>
> >> if we break ABI between 1.1 and 1.2 we, MeeGo, fscked up and must
> >> provide a compatibility package.

So this is real today, if packages marked as dep should also stay stable
something must be done. From the docs things marked as core are the only
ones to be maintained as stable.

Anyways, this also opens on what will happen eventually with
dconf/gsettings and gconf.

> > libssl is Platform API, so there are no ABI promises made
> > (sect 3.2.1).  (However, the spec used to promise ABI
> > compatability within a 1.x release.)
>
> if you get an app built and checked as compliant, the binary
> better stay working, as Arjan says.  The spec still contains
> a bit on this:

The document is pretty clear on this I agree... perhaps stricter wording
would help more, making explicit mention of *dep* not being the case for
people requiring stability of the API/ABI.