On 2/7/2011 9:03 AM, Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011, Sergio Schvezov wrote:

Suppose that your app needs 3rd party libs and you install
them in the folder /opt/foo/lib.  Before you start your app,
you can manipulate the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to pull in your lib
folder.
[snip]

So imagine the case of openssl, you provide it as it is not Meego Core,
it's linked to a specific version. Meego provides a different one, you
an't link to it in theory as it is not a core lib. In this example you
then bring in Qt to your application which does a dlopen on it's
openssl. This basically crashes your app.

What a mess!  I hadn't thought of that.

My point being, some libs just probably shouldn't be allowed even in an
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

I.e. "We refuse to supply openssl as part of MeeGo core, but you can't use openssl as your own private library because QtNetwork is covertly loading it with dlopen()." That's nuts.

I'm pretty sure openssl is part of the actual compliance package list
(which is "core + dependencies", not just "core')