On Mo, 2011-03-21 at 20:40 +0000, Ville M. Vainio wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 3:36 PM, Patrick Ohly <patrick.o...@intel.com> wrote:
>
> > Mail Storage and Transports
> >      * write simplistic server which runs Camel
> >      * replace QMF client library with one which accesses that server;
> >        source code compatibility of just the functionality needed by
> >        the Tablet mail app would be a good first step
>
> Why do you need to use Camel instead of QMF? Does Camel have some
> virtues over QMF messageserver?

QMF has been a rough experience for us at Intel. There were issues with
the QMF+Accounts/SSO integration in the MeeGo fork of it, which we
couldn't get help for because this functionality wasn't used by Nokia
the same we did. These problems went away when using the upstream QMF
directly.

We still saw issues with the QMF daemon hanging under unreliable network
conditions. It turned out later that a potential fix for that hadn't
been merged into MeeGo yet.

All of that could have been handled better and probably isn't
representative of QMF itself, but it has tainted our experience with it.

I personally don't think that there are some specific technical merits.
Others who have worked more with it might be able to list some, not
sure. The key differences are of a less technical nature, for example:
     1. unifying the mail infrastructure across all verticals
     2. aligning with an upstream project which has maintainers who have
        a business interest in it (arguably such a comparison is very
        subjective and speculative)
     3. in-house expertise

I understand that this must be a disappointment for those who have
worked hard on QMF. I've been in the same boat when Nokia's Buteo
replaced SyncEvolution in MeeGo. My apologies if anyone feels slighted
by these decisions.

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.