On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 11:53 AM, Dave Neary <dne...@maemo.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A quick note on meritocracies.
>
> Andrew Flegg wrote:
>> According to Imad Sousou at the last TSG meeting[1], the MeeGo
>> Technical Steering Group consists of two seats:
>>
>>   * Intel (Imad Sousou)
>>   * Nokia (currently vacant after Valtteri Halla left Nokia)
>
> Companies typically don't have inherent merit. To cite one example, when
> Mitchell Baker left AOL (I can't remember whether she resigned or was
> laid off, it's irrelevant), AOL decided to appoint someone to take over
> from her as Chief Lizard Wrangler. But Mitchell said "Hello, I'm still
> here - I don't work for AOL any more, but I'm *still* the Chief Lizard
> Wranger" - and people followed her, and not the AOL appointee.
>
> I had understood that the TSG was made up of Imad & Valtteri, not Intel
> & Nokia. Has Valtteri resigned from the TSG officially?
>
> Combined with appointments of companies (whose representatives, with the
> exception of Yonghui Wang of China Mobile, have not sent even one email
> to any MeeGo lists) this makes MeeGo look less & less like a meritocracy
> and more & more like a collection of corporate partnerships.

Dave before you start writing off MeeGo meritocracy you may want to
look at all the mailing lists a little more closely. For example,
MeeGo IVI had as its second post to the IVI mailing list this missive
from myself:
http://lists.meego.com/pipermail/meego-ivi/2010-September/000001.html
Pelagicore had announced itself as a contributor long before we
volunteered to officially participate by assuming roles within the IVI
project and long, long before we were confirmed in those roles by the
TSG.

>From my personal perspective as Release Manager for MeeGo IVI
meritocracy is not a buzz word but the way releases get made - you
need code to release after all. I take meritocratic and open
governance quite seriously and want it to be clear that I'll always do
everything I can to ensure that is the case in MeeGo IVI.

<snip>

Regards,

Jeremiah