On Di, 2011-05-17 at 14:52 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-05-17 at 15:44 +0200, Patrick Ohly wrote:

> > > We are actively working on adding other back ends, for example for use
> > > with Microsoft Exchange (via both EWS and ActiveSync). My primary focus
> > > was MeeGo 1.3, but there are those who need it on 1.2 too. So I don't
> > > think you can rule it out so easily.
> >
> > Do they need it in combination with QtContacts?
>
> Hm, if we stick to the plan of using SyncEvolution for the ActiveSync
> calendar and contacts, then I suppose we don't need a non-file back end
> at all in 1.2.

Right.

> For 1.3 we'll definitely have the EWS support, and that includes an
> EDS-EWS contacts back end. We'll want that to work in whatever the UI
> uses, which may still be QtContacts that that point?

That's my assumption. Otherwise QtContacts-EDS as a whole isn't needed.

> On the other hand, doesn't QtContacts assume that the full addressbook
> is local and enumerable?

I guess you could write a manager which runs a query and presents the
result with ephemeral numbers assigned to each item. But that is a
different use case that'll have to be handled differently. The problem
with persistent UINT32<->String ID mapping doesn't occur in this case.

I still think an efficient overall solution should avoid the mapping in
the main use case.

> So the online queries that we do for address
> completion in EWS/LDAP/etc aren't supported at all, and clients may want
> to be using EDS directly?

That's of course always a possibility.

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly