On Mo, 2011-06-06 at 15:02 +0100, Adrien Bustany wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 13:38:29 +0200, Patrick Ohly wrote:

> >> restarts.
> >> (both
> >> current
> >> work

> >> using

> >> Oh, that's good to know. Thanks for clarifying this. I don't
> >> remember
> >> where I got the (wrong) idea from. Too much exposure to EDS, I
> >> suppose,
> >> where the IDs are stable ;-}
> >
> > Hmm, I wonder whether app developers are aware of this. It implies
> > that
> > passing QContactId between processes is not correct, because these
> > IDs
> > are only valid inside the process.
> >
> > Connie, how are contacts references inside the MeeGo UX (for things
> > like
> > "show contact XYZ")? QContactId or QContactGuid?
>
> Hmm that would still be correct I guess, but you'd have to check with
> the mobility developers... I wouldn't expect the DB to change the ids
> for one same contact from one program to another,

But that's the same situation as above: if QContactLocalId are only
valid during the runtime of a program, or even only while it has the DB
open, then there's no guarantee that QContactLocalId 1 in program A
refers to the same contact in program B.

Michael, can you clarify what the lifetime of QContactLocalId is meant
to be? The documentation is silent on that matter, as far as I know.

> but I wouldn't expect
> the DB to keep local ids valid from one DB session to another (for
> example with Tracker, we sometimes have to rebuild the DB if the schema
> changed → IDs can be invalidated). Also, I'm not totally sure if
> QContactGuid is mandatory, if not it makes things even more tricky :/

I don't know either.

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.