On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 15:16:21 -0700
Arjan van de Ven <ar...@linux.intel.com> wrote:

> On 6/13/2011 3:12 PM, Bernd Stramm wrote:
> > On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 15:05:41 -0700
> > Arjan van de Ven<ar...@linux.intel.com>  wrote:

> >> there was then, there is now.
> >>
> >> The X server advertises this, Qt asks for it as well from the X
> >> server...
> >>
> >> all you need to do is ask Qt.
> > That answer keeps coming up, and its still not quite right. The
> > value advertised by X is off by as much as 50%, in meego.
>
> what bugnumbers do you have for this?

Dont have one, it is nevertheless true that this happens. If it comes
up on a meego-specific device, I will file a bug for it.

> if the graphics driver lies, we have a mechanism (in uxlaunch) to
> override/fix this on a per board basis.
>
> sounds like you have a board where this is not done correctly

The worst ones were an Acer laptop (not officially supported, so it
doesn't really count), and an N900 running Maemo.

As of Qt 4.7.2,  the Qt manual still says:

"int QPaintDevice::widthMM () const
Returns the width of the paint device in millimeters. Due to platform
limitations it may not be possible to use this function to determine
the actual physical size of a widget on the screen."

But it could be worse than you think. The size info would be useful for
displays that are not build into the meego device. Docking stations,
projectors and the like. That is where it gets really interesting, and
uxlaunch probably has less control.

--
Bernd Stramm
bernd.str...@gmail.com