On 06/13/2011 03:49 PM, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> I've seen this even presented as a configuration setting to users in some
> systems...

interesting observation for "some systems"

By way of example: the NVIDIA binary drivers have for years attempted
to expose a correct DPI value based on the EDID of the connected
monitor.  And for years gdm (and a few other apps, but this was the
most common offender) would try to autoscale its login fonts
accordingly, leading to results ranging from the ugly (on a 141dpi
laptop) to the comically unusable (40dpi television).  The standard
workaround was indeed to use a configuration setting to force the DPI
to ~100.

I haven't been using NVIDIA hardware for a few years, so I don't know
what the current state of app support is.  But I do note that Fedora 15
on my Arrandale laptop is still lying, claiming that the 1920x1080
display is 96dpi.

That's not MeeGo though.  The two MeeGo devices I have booted in front
of me (an ExoPC and an IVI development board) both report numbers as
far out as the X server that look correct to me.

Andy