On Fri, 2011-07-01 at 10:51 -0700, ext Shane Bryan wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 09:47:46AM -0700, Ware, Ryan R wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 12:59 AM, Ramez Hanna <ramez.ha...@nokia.com> wrote:
> > > On Thu, 2011-06-30 at 11:29 -0700, ext Kok, Auke-jan H wrote:
>
> <snip>

> > > according to developers, they see OBS as a perfect system to deliver for
> > > integration cycles, but slow for hack,build,test cycles prior to
> > > integrating into product
> >
> > That would be because OBS isn't the tool they are supposed to be using
> > for that.  It's not a tool for hacking and testing.  It's not a
> > version control system.  Trying to use it for that would be akin to
> > trying to write your Linux development code with Microsoft Word
> > running in Wine.  It might be possible, but was never the intent of
> > the tool.
> >
> > They should be doing their development using their standard processes
> > with their normal version control system and then submitting a release
> > once they are done hacking and testing.
>
> First, please don't take my following comments as endorsement or
> opposition of the proposal, as I am really not in a position to do so,
> nor would my endorsement matter.  Having made that clear...
>
> Ryan, while I agree that OBS is most definately not a VCS tool applicable
> to daily code development, I would have to disagree with your (apparent)
> generalization that development does not ever need to coincide or overlap
> the use of the release/packaging tools.
>
> As a developer who is also a package owner and maintainer of other
> packages, I most definately have struggled with the turn-around time
> when creating new packages, or updating existing packages that have had
> changes in their installed files and/or build/run deps.  Very often I
> am rapidly iterating through .yaml(.spec) changes, or tweaking patches,
> to get either the build to work, rpmlint to pass, or installed files
> in the right place/config to actually work.  This is a tedious and
> often trial-and-error based process for which finding ways to streamline
> it would definately be welcomed.  Yes, experience helps, but there are
> always corner cases, so the problem, in general, exists for developers
> who care to ensure their release tar balls are as easy to integrate into
> MeeGo as possible.
>
> Now, having said that, I will note that I could probably count on two
> hands (and maybe one foot) the number of times in the last two years
> that I've really had my productivity impacted by these issues, and the
> thought of having yet-another-[tool|process] to use and *still* needing
> to use osc/OBS to actually get the package SR'd into a project/release
> does not sound like a real improvement.
>
> As suggested by Auke, I'd rather see the issues addressed w/in the scope
> of the existing tools.
I would tend to agree with that, but at least one item hits as not a
good candidate for solving on OBS side
speeding up the builds, OBS build functionality always starts from
scratch, meaning it would cleanup the buildroot and do a clean build.
then it also depends on having the source in tarball then it would
unpack it
I am suggesting to speedup the build process by skipping the
packing/unpacking, and build inplace without cleaning the buildroot (run
make and make install but not make clean) thus not rebuilding what make
script thinks is unchanged
these tweaks would not be a good thing to implement in OBS because in
production you don't want that, you'd sacrifice the speed for a clean
and reliable build

--
Ramez Hanna <ramez.ha...@nokia.com>