Hi,

I have been looking at some of the stats subcommands in memcached, and personally I would like to kill some of them (I believe that they have nothing to do in memcached):

stats malloc - What would you use the output of this command for?? the biggest "malloc user" is the slab allocator, but that always allocates 1MB chunks.. (and stats slabs will give detailed info for the slab allocation). I believe that getting detailed information about the malloc implementation doesn't belong in the memcached protocol, but you should be able to use other tools on your system to monitor this.

stats maps - I don't think this belongs in the protocol (and I have no idea what you would use the output to in a deployed scenario). There are plenty of tools available on different platforms that would give you more info..

So.. Are people using these features and would you be extremely sad if we removed them from the next version of memcached.

My next question is stats cachedump. Are people using that feature?? Personally I would like to kill that as a stats subcommand, and try to think of a better way we may help developers to try to debug their application.

So what does people think?

Trond