Along those lines, I just did some digging and it looks like there's a
third-party nginx plugin that supports using REST to address the cache at
the proxy level: http://wiki.nginx.org/NginxHttpMemcModule, and I agree with
the others that's where you'd want to place something like this. Note: I
just found the above link now, and am in no way advocating its use in
particular, just that there are already efforts to do this in more
appropriate layers.

- Marc