Anything in python is going to be several orders of magnitude slower than
the C version, so a pure python one isn't going to have seen a lot of
production time.

That said I don't see why you couldn't start with one of the random ones
people have written.

Just googling "python memcached server" brought up this in the second
result:
https://github.com/jaysonsantos/python-async-memcached-server

good luck,
-Dormando