I have some thoughts but need to finish a few other things first.

I kind of want something a bit more barebones that speaks both client and
server so I can embed it into the server and help prevent bitrot. Then
another wrapper around that which becomes the external client.

At the same time I'd like to fix some protocol problems... Been bothering
me for a long time. Might be a good opportunity to kill a flock of birds.