Lee Einer wrote:
Thanks, Jim-

I backed the adjusting screw on the altitude adjusting box a full turn and took it for a test drive. It seems to have picked up a little bit of accelleration even down here at sea level. It will be a few weeks before I can check it out in LV. If needed, I can back it out another turn at that time.

One question, though- when backing off the adjusting screw, how will I know how much is too much? Should I be watching for smoking under accelleration?

Lee

Without a proper injection pump test stand, all you can do is use the smoke from the exhaust as a measure of proper adjustment. Fortunately, that's ALMOST as accurate as a test stand. When the pump is properly set, when the car is accelerating, pedal to the floor there should be barely visible smoke visible in the rear view mirror on a sunny day when the engine speed gets over 4000 rpm! If you don't have a tach, then you can estimate 4000 rpm by using 80% of the way to the "I", "II" and "III" marks on the speedometer as a rough guide to the engine reaching 4000 rpm with the car in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears.

Do NOT use smoke visible at night in the headlights of a trailing car as a measure - way too much variability caused by a variety of causes unrelated to unburnbed fuel! The must be wisps of smoke (or the car won't make it rated power/acceleration) but more than wisps of smoke then the power drops! Measure the 0-62 mph acceleration time and if it's within a 4-5 percent of the factory spec (~20 sec) then I'd leave it alone!

Marshall
'87 300TD 181Kmi,'87 190D 2.5 199Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 227Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 159Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 234kmi
      Diesel Technical Advisor MBCA, member GWSection
    http://www.dhc.net/~pmhack/mercedes/mbooth1.htm