On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:48:52 -0700 (PDT) Curt Raymond
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The diagrams I've seen show some kind of gasket that lives under the
> tank that the vent line goes through but I can't see it from above or
> underneith.

On the left (driver's) side of the tank two tubes go through the floor of
the trunk. The gasket is between the bottom of the fuel tank and the floor
of the trunk. You have to take the fuel tank out to see it (I did that
when I was changing my 240D to a 240D/3.0).

> Whats the trick? Do I need to take the back seat out?

No. Taking the back seat out will do you no good. If you really must, the
fuel tank is held in with four bolts.

I took pictures of the process when I did it and will send them to you off
list.

Craig