At Houston Hobby airport a few months after 9/11, I was at the head of the line for a short flt to Dallas, Southwest Airlines (cattle line). The gate attendant announces, "Anyone who would like to volunteer for a random security check will get on the plane first." Aside from the fact that if you had to go through that process you would be about #30 on the plane, I stupidly could not resist asking him, , "How can it be random if you volunteer?" He said, "Well, then you just volunteered" and the woman behind me (#2 in line) got /seriously /upset that she couldn't volunteer to be randomly searched to be first in line. I got to do the stupid human tricks, was about #30 on the plane.

I learned from that experience never to question empirical reality.

Then I see this in today's paper:
*Houston Chronicle, by Mike Glenn* Original Article <http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3267228>
**
A Houston-based rapper said his decision to call himself the "Arabic Assassin" was meant to stir up a bit of controversy in the music business. The stage persona -- along with some incendiary lyrics in one of his songs -- also helped get Bassam Khalaf fired this month from his job as a baggage screener at Bush Intercontinental Airport.

There is more to the story, but it just makes one wonder, or maybe not...

--R

Royce Engler wrote:

You should probably know that all those folks are now working as security
screeners at the airport since the gummint took over that function.

Royce Engler
1985 300TD Turbo 265K