Remember the Spirit? It was kind of a downsized FWD Eagle. AMC launched the line in late 1978 or '79 with ceremonies in communities across the country named Spirit, including the settlement of Spirit, Wis., near the hometown of our listmate Meade Dillon.

I was there with camera and notepad to scribble over the unveiling -- they biggest thing that EVER happened in Spirit, Wis., I'm sure.

The Spirit (a co-worker had one) was a POS -- the last gasp of AMC. The Eagle was a pretty durable set of wheels. Its rear seal issues weren't that rare among US straight sixes, as I recall. .I know many of the Fords I drove during the period had similar problems.

Russ Maki
Ixonia, Wis.
(With a 6-cyl '53 Ford F-100 in the garage -- no oil leaks so far)

kevin kraly wrote:

what was that funny looking 4 wheel drive they had? I think the 6's were 200
cid.

You must be talking about the AMC Eagle. The 6 cylinder engine were 4.2L 258 CID, and many had rear main seal problems including the one that we had. It was a wonderful winter car while living in Bend, OR. The college is built on a hill, and if you didn't have a 4WD on a snowy winters day, you didn't get up there! Rather than having the rear main seal and clutch replaced, we shoulda just dropped a 617.95x turbodiesel into it!

Kevin in Hillsboro Oregon

1978 300CD 200K+ miles, Vinnie