The Spirit was NOT a FWD car. It shared the same platform as the Eagle SX4. It was available with the 2.5 or the 258 six. The spirit GT had a hot little Renault(I think) 4banger in it and was quite quick. The Spirit AMX(78-80) was the nicest and very limited production. The nicest thing about them using the same chasis was that all of the older V8 stuff will bolt right into them(including space left for dual exhaust).

Mike
----- Original Message ----- From: "Russ Maki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, September 10, 2005 3:07 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT Vega

Remember the Spirit? It was kind of a downsized FWD Eagle. AMC launched
the line in late 1978 or '79 with ceremonies in communities across the
country named Spirit, including the settlement of Spirit, Wis., near the
hometown of our listmate Meade Dillon.

I was there with camera and notepad to scribble over the unveiling -- they biggest thing that EVER happened in Spirit, Wis., I'm sure.

The Spirit (a co-worker had one) was a POS -- the last gasp of AMC. The
Eagle was a pretty durable set of wheels.  Its rear seal issues weren't
that rare among US straight sixes, as I recall. .I know many of the
Fords I drove during the period had similar problems.

Russ Maki
Ixonia, Wis.
(With a 6-cyl '53 Ford F-100 in the garage -- no oil leaks so far)

kevin kraly wrote:

what was that funny looking 4 wheel drive they had? I think the 6's were 200

cid.

You must be talking about the AMC Eagle.  The 6 cylinder engine were 4.2L
258 CID, and many had rear main seal problems including the one that we had.
It was a wonderful winter car while living in Bend, OR.  The college is
built on a hill, and if you didn't have a 4WD on a snowy winters day, you
didn't get up there!  Rather than  having the rear main seal and clutch
replaced, we shoulda just dropped a 617.95x turbodiesel  into it!

Kevin in Hillsboro Oregon

1978 300CD 200K+ miles, Vinnie

This message scanned for viruses by CoreComm