You can buy aftermarket trans temp gauges, and they plumb in fairly easily--T in to the line out from trans to cooler with compression fittings. I installed one in the Caprice wagon I had some time ago, along with a big trans oil cooler, as I used to tow heavy trailers with it. The trans, a stock 700R4, was still going strong at 190k miles with no rebuild when I gave the car away. My wife's '02 Saab 9-5 has a trans overheat light--not as good, but something, at least.

Dan

 >>Why is there no such thing as a transmission oil pressure light? ;)

 Or a transmission temperature guage!

I've occasionally seen transmission temperature gauges.  Either Ford or
Chevy had one on their really heavy duty pickup, for a while.

--
Dan Weeks
Freelance Writing and Photography