On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 05:12:12PM -0400, Mitch Haley wrote:
> I believe Ford had a gauge option in the 7.3 PSD with four speed. Sort of an
> on/off gauge like the engine temp of the same vintage. It had two readings,
> "OK" and "please deposit $3,000". Supposedly the idiot lights with needles
> result in fewer service calls than real gauges, some owners would bring their
> truck in under warranty if a temp gauge started reading higher than when new,
> so Ford designed a gauge that always read the same unless there was a real
> failure.

Do I know THAT too well. They actually redesigned the oil pressure sender to
only send out two values (<=6 psi or >6 psi), then used a resistor across
the back of the gauge to make it so it wouldn't 'peg' with 7psi.

Anyone with a Ford with one of these gauges (usually 88-97) that wants to
fix this, send me a note offlist and I'll dig it up.