I think Chuck was speaking more about the nature of this particular type of
car - a full sized sedan with a big V8.  It was very fast and luxurious.  As
opposed to a diesel that could be converted to run on french fry grease --

 I was lucky enough to own a '72 28SE 4.5 - the SEL was the same except for
a 4" additionalm space in the rear seat area.  MB engineers are known to
have commented that this was probably the best big MB sedan ever made.

The engine in mine was in pretty good mechanical condition and even so it
only got around 14mpg when tuned perfectly.   But all that was forgotten
once the speedo got above 80mph - the road got quieter, the wind noise
subsided and best of all the chassis changed the whole character of the car.
The suspension became smooth and compliant  - soaking up bumps and tar
strips with the feel of a Ferrari/Cadillac combination!

They're amazing cars but like all from that time they can rust severely.
The front bumper support, lower fenders, headlight buckets, rockers (big
time!) and rear quarters -

Larry T (66 MGB, 74 911, 91 300D)
PORSCHE POSTERS!  youroil.net
800-583-8601