Mitch Haley wrote:
> Fortunately, we can now do banks of FETs which can handle hundreds of amps
> per
> transistor, with resistance measured in milliohms.

Yep!  Good times :)

> For instance, here's an electric motor throttle rated to handle 1200A
> continuous
> at 12v, with .0005 ohm resistance across the transistors, and the whole
> controller weighs 1.4oz, but it does not include a reverse function, but I
> believe it had regenerative braking, and it costs $80. Just imagine what you
> could do if you were willing to pay $300-500 for a large speed control to
> operate an automobile.

I call BS.  1200A requires HUGE HUGE wires.  That controller is only
really capable of 20-30 amps more likely.  That peak current is probably
for uS and is probably severely overstated as well.

A 40kW motor only makes 53 horsepower...  so that is probably a good
starting size.  40kW is a LOT of juice.  The higher voltage you can get
the better.  The ones in hybrids run at 300+ volts.  Before we got our
battery pack for ChallengeX we had a trailer full of lead acid batteries
to emulate the 320V batter pack on the way.

John