Correct   When I bought my 300D (124) the PO had the sunroof "fixed."
   I opened it on the drive home and when i went to close it, I had
the same symptoms you describe.

The cable was bad, and looped in the space between the roof and the headliner.

Run it back.  Take off the chrome rails, remove the SR headliner
forward and up through the roof.
Then put the rails back if you plant to drive it before fixing.
Or slide the roof forward and up with manual assist.  It may be
easier if you unbolt the cable mount at the back of the roof when you
get it close to closed, or maybe not.

The "fix" had involved prying the roof back up into place with
screwdrivers and ruining the paint around the sunroof.  The touchop
paint I ordered from Rusty covered it pretty well.  I don't notice
the paint chips anymore.  At least your roof has not been "fixed" yet.

Loren Faeth