Electrolysis is your friend. Use a small wading pool with a dilute
solution of washing soda, lye, or baking soda and a battery charger.
It's the only way to make sure you get all the rust off. In my younger
years I used fiberglass and epoxy to reinforce the rusted tank on my
59 VW Beetle. Did not have the car long enough to see how it held up.
Ended up selling it for a Opel Manta.

-Dave Walton