> Nailed up a crate that will hold the tank
> with a few inches of clear space all the way around.
> By my calculations the box will hold about 80 gallons of water.

Don't forget to subtract the volume of the fuel tank!

> I bought a 1 lb bottle of lye (NaOH).

Maybe 1/4 cup will do.  Even when I filled my son's wading
pool to do the Hercules engine head, I doubt I put in more
than a handful or two.  It doesn't really take that much.

> The site referenced said to use about a 2% solution but that would be
> about a dozen bottles of lye -- that just seems like a lot.

Way too much!  I got washing soda (a kinder, gentler electrolyte),
but I suspect any salt or acid would also work.  Problem with acid
is it'll react with the metal, whereas the soda (and lye) won't.
Salt is tricky, anything wet but not actively in the circuit
could start to corrode.  I got the washing soda at the grocery
store.

Don't forget that your tank will want to start to float unless
you sink it.  If you cork its bottom fitting(s) you can fill
it with plain water instead of solution.

And it's REALLY REALLY important to remember that the sacrificial
ANODE goes to the positive supply lead.

-- Jim