changing the story instead of responding really but couldn't resist given the
subject line

My sister in law has pushed the limits on rust on more than one car.

She has had a couple of  Mazda 626's - 70's vintage of some sort - good when
new but rusty when old.

With the blue one, she called her brother (the family mechanic) to complain
that her car would only turn left and
not right (could have that reversed - not sure). At any rate, Brian went and
had a look at it and determined that
the steering box was no longer attached to the body. The mounting spot had
rusted away. I think that was when they
determined that the rust was terminal on that car.

With the brown one, Brian was afraid that she might hit a bump and have the
driver's seat exit through the bottom
as there was almost no floor left. The car was not worth repairing so I think
he shored up the seat with some 2X4
pieces in the hope that the seat would stay in the car.

Thankfully she is now in better financial shape and has a late model car.

Randy