Next time you get the key to turn (if there is one...) you MUST leave
the key turned!!!  (I have had success by turning against the key and
wiggling the steering wheel back and forth until the key turns.)  The
tumbler cylinder has failed and you need to order a VIN keyed tumbler
from Rusty, your local stealership, or MB Classic yesterday.
Remove the cylinder at anytime after you get it to turn.  Turn the lock
to position 2 (run position) and insert a paper clip into the small hole
on the face of the tumbler.   This will allow the black ring to unscrew
off the cylinder.  Replacement is the same as removal.

Here is a tutorial on how to remove the cylinder if you cannot get the
key to turn.
http://dieselgiant.com/mercedes_diesel_maintenance_tips1%20page%202.htm

Hope this helps.

Luther