G'day Chris, you must be the only person in the world that enjoys car
repairs :-D
Anyway first question is whether your car is equipped with ABS (anti
locking brake system), you should have a ABS light on the dash if you do.
If you have ABS then you should not push old brake fluid back into the
system as it can damage the ABS pump.
I take it you removed some of the brake fluid from the reservoir before
pushing the pads back? If not make sure that your reservoir has not
overflown and ruined the paint work.
Assuming you do not have ABS, then it is a matter of removing some of
the fluid from the reservoir and using a G clamp to push the piston back
into the bore, best of to place a piece of wood across the piston and
position the clamp in the middle of the piston because if the piston
goes in crooked it will jam, which may have happened in your situation.

Hendrik
who hates working on dirty and dusty brake systems