> I've been using a C
> clamp to compress the piston but I can't seem to get enough room.

That's generally the right approach, though you may have to
liberate the caliper from the car (two bolts, don't unhook
the hydraulic hose) in order to get the clamp in there far
enough to squeeze the puck back in squarely.  Don't stress
the hose.

They get dirty/rusty enough that it may be necessary to
'rebuild' it.  That's messy, but if the rubber is actually
in good shape you can get by with removing the puck(s) and
cleaning them up with 600-grit wet/dry sandpaper wetted with
brake fluid or water.  Rub gently, the pucks clean up nice and
smooth as they're hard-chromed.  Clean the piston bores similarly.
Then they go back together.  To do this the caliper comes off
the car.  I use a grease gun filled with water to pump the
pucks out of the caliper, that's much safer than using air
pressure.  Thoroughly washed inside and out, I then use
air to blow-dry everything.  At that point one can even
paint the calipers if one so desired.

If the rubber sealing boot and/or square-profiled O-ring seal
have deteriorated then it's time to do the full rebuild, which
is the same as described above but with new rubber.

I don't do this if the pucks can be pushed back in reasonably
in the first place.  They should actually slide fairly easily.

-- Jim