One trick is to peel back the weather seal at the top of the rear engine bay
to give another 1" of access (it's formed into ppsition rather than glued).
I do that as well when removing the fuse box cover on the opposite side...

Battery R&R on the W123 300CD took the MB roadside guy 45 minutes - it's
very tight.  It's a lot easier on the 300TD due to its more spacious engine
compartment.