It seems than at Thu, 21 Aug 2008 22:46:59 -0500, Wonko wrote:

> You're not actually securing this beast to the battery tray,
> are you? Mass alone keeps it in place. I've had my 240D for
> about three years now, and the battery is held in place by
> gravity and has not shifted. I have cobwebs as proof.

Eeek!

Just because it has not moved in your car (yet) does not mean
it's a good idea!!

That mass that "keeps it in place" will turn from friend to
enemy as soon as you are in a situation in which seatbelts are
beneficial. I suppose you could think of the hold down clamp as
a seatbelt for your battery...

--         Philip, with secured batteries in all my road vehicles