I got it up in target disk mode and am cleaning files off.  Turns out
the investment into the iBook was a very good thing for just this
sort of idiot move I made.  Will be sure now that the bork was to the
disk and not the machine itself since it is allowing target disk mode
and outputting to the screen so that I can see it working

clay