Peter Frederick wrote:

It has a variable speed fan, speed selected by switching a resistor set just like a manual HVAC in a Benz. When the temp dial is set to the minimum, it clicks -- this is an override position, at least on the later systems, that switches off any reheat via the heater core and servo or monovalve to provide maximum cooling with no temp control. Fan speed will drop to minimum and very cold air will be delivered so long as the temp dial is all the way down. Off the click stop you will have re-heat and the temp will be controlled at around 60-65F.
Ahh... okay, the Type II (Chrysler) system doesn't have the specific override, but it will still end up in max cooling as it will try to cool the car to 65 (same end result, just takes a few more seconds). The low fan speed just doesn't make sense to me.... I understand that the low fan speed will result in the lowest temperature outlet air, but I think that a high blower speed would cool the car off quicker. So lets say that at a given engine RPM and amount of airflow over the condensor there will be specific amount of BTUs that can be transferred out of the air flowing over the evaporator. At a low blower speed there is less hot air flowing into the system, which results in less heat (BTUs) being put across the evaporator. When the system removes the amount of BTUs it is capable of, since there wasn't a significant amount of BTUs being put in the system, removing all the BTUs results in very cold air temperatures. Here we run into the problem of when the temp gets lower than 38 degrees or so, the evap starts icing up. At this point the compressor will cycle. When the compressor is off it is not removing BTUs from inside the car. When the blower speed is on high there is a significant amount of hot air flowing across the evaporator. This results in a significant amount of BTUs entering the system. When the evaporator has removed all of the BTUs it can, the air temperature will not experience as great of a temperature drop as was experienced when the blower motor was on its lowest setting; however, the same amount of BTUs were removed. The two advantages I see about using the high blower setting are that the compressor will not cycle as the evaporator is not going below 38 deg, and that higher air volume will allow more air to flow through the car. IE at a low air volume the back seat might not experience any cold air flow from the vents, and hot air from the back seat will not flow as quickly to the air intake (during re-circ mode).

This is the only way I know to look at it.... I am by no means a mechanical engineer so I'm very likely to be missing something, but as I see it now the low blower speed just doesn't make sense. Also, I've always heard of people referring to blower on high for testing max cooling capability... I believe even the MB manual mentions it, although I can't find the specific place at the moment.
On the later systems, fan speed is infinitely variable via a transistor switching system, and the fan speed can get VERY low if the low speed fan button is pushed.
Type II system has 5 stages.... and the low is pretty low, but still noticeable. Referring to Bob's original question, "whisper" is kinda vague as the lowest stage could easily be descibed like that when compared to defrost! I interpreted it as a the recirculation flap was still letting fresh air in, and when the blower stopped he was just feeling the air forcing its way in while he was driving.
Remember, this is an automatic temperature control system, not a "temperature of delivered air" system. It will maintain cabin temp to the selected temperature within mechanical limits.
Yes. The Type II system is kinda flakey though... especially when compared to the Type III system, which is an excellent design.
Defrost and full heat (click stop at the highest tempt setting) do exactly the same with with heat -- full heater core flow reguardless of cabin temp.
Yep, and in that case full blower for sure.... the heater core definitely has plenty of BTUs to play with :)

I hope I don't come across as arrogant or anything... I just want to make sure of my reasoning behind this... I'm taking senior design at school and have found some people who liked the idea of designing an affordable replacement to the Type II ACC system, and as such want to make sure I'm doing it right!!
Take care,
John
'79 300SD (two of them... each with dead servos)