Bob:

You should just about get frozen out of the car with the temp dial set all the way down, as that turns off the re-heat. Fan speed will drop off to next to nothing and air just barely above freezing will come out the vents. This is normal behavior for a ACC unit, they all (GM, Ford, Benz, Audi, Volvo) do the same thing.

I never move mine unless it's too hot or too cold -- the AC runs a little cool in temperate weather and the heater tends to be a bit cool in cold weather so I have a summer and winter setting, about 5 degrees apart.

Don't set the blower on low, either, unless the fan is running full blast too much, as the air flow will be VERY low in cold weather, maybe even switched off on a 77, and you will freeze in the winter. Leave it on auto.

If it won't cool well enough or the temp oscillates warm/cold at a mid range setting, you need to replace the hose for the cabin temp sensor aspirator motor, it's behind the glove box. The aspirator fan is on the heater box, and pull air through a foam hose past the actual temp sensor -- I think yours is in the dash somewhere. It's in the overhead by the sunroof switch on the W126 and W124. If that hose falls apart, the temp sensor will cause the car to get really cold, then switch on the heat as the cold air finally get to it, then turn the AC on full blast again when the hot air works in. Easy fix.

Peter