Bob Rentfro wrote:

I've never seen this...
My AC has worked fairly well this summer. I've had a little cold air escaping through the defrost damper...not enough to warrent the pain it is to change that pod out. Now, after the AC runs on auto hi for about 5 minutes, everything kind of fails in a mid position. It seems the fan wanes and I get a whisper of cold air out of all the HVAC orifices. I can switch to defrost and the fan becomes wicked strong and the air that comes out is about 10 degrees high than the air out of the center vents when AC is working well. What the heck is going on? I imagine it's vacuum related, but I was wondering if anyone has seen this before and had a clue for me...before I start on a vacuum troubleshooting fest tomorrow.

So the blower is turning off and your just getting the amount of air you would if there was a "vent" option? If thats the case the first thing to check would be the vacuum switch, which is behind the glovebox. You can use your mityvac to test to see if the switch is functioning. Also, you can short the connector that goes to the switch (fan will be on always) and watch the vacuum level with your MityVac. If that test is inconclusive the only other thing I can think of is the blower resistors... don't think there is anything in the servo that would cause that failure, but don't know for sure.

Best of luck with it!!!

John
'79 300SD