Cause otherwise people won't have kids and there won't be anyone to wipe
your bottom when you are in a nursing home. Of course plan B is to
import workers but then you probably don't like that idea either.
More seriously though, the notion of subsidizing having kids is a
example of a modern society, which recognizes that women give up
work/financial independence to have children. This puts them at a
financial disadvantage. You have to imagine what would the situation be
if men did the child popping out thingy? I dare say the tax credits
would be a lot higher and there would be 5 years of fully paid maternity
leave and a truckload of other goodies for the expecting daddy.
Look I don't particularly like having my taxes go to wasters who are a
burden on society but I don't consider the future generation to be in
this category. We have to face up to the fact that the first world birth
rate is declining because of changes in the structure of society.

Hendrik
who gets money from the government for the kids and no it doesn't get
wasted on drugs, booze or gambling