Christopher McCann wrote:
> Any really important reasons to get a W123 over the
> '87 version?

123 are easier to find.

>  THink the mileage would be better too, no?

124 should get better mpg than 123.
More power too.

> Any particular problems with the 87 300TD?

Plugged trap oxidizer, cracked head, rear suspension issues.
Most common SLS problem seems to be dead accumulators, which are
roughly as expensive as shocks on a sedan. If the car still
has a trap on it, I believe the fix is a catalytic converter and exhaust
system at MBZ expense. (or was it the 126 that gets a whole new exhaust?)
I suspect that if MBZ has already put a cat on the car, the next cat will
cost you 4 digits, but I'm guessing. I'm sure you could have a cat delete
pipe made for less than a cat from mbz.