> Also, the best car on snow was and still is the old VW bug. The engine
> is over the drive wheels, giving great traction and the steering tires
> are free to do what they are supposed to do - steer!

My parents had one, and there's a killer hill to get up to
on the way to their house.  A 90-degree turn (stop) at the
bottom of a steep hill, followed by a long sweeping turn
at the top and up another hill.  The bug always did about
the best.  They may have put sand in the rear too.

However, its average score as a winter car is lowered, and
considerably, by its pathetic excuse for a heater/defroster.

I also believe the FWD reputation is largely myth, and I
certainly don't like the way it handles.  So the butt end
of RWD gets a bit squirrely in the snow, so what?  Back off
the throttle a bit.

-- Jim