From: Tom Hargrave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [MBZ] What would you buy now?
To: "'R A Bennell'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED], "'Mercedes
Discussion List'" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Date: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 10:17 PM

FWD cars have better drive traction in the snow only because most of the
weight is above the drive tires.

But they have worse steering traction because some of the steering tires
traction is already being used for drive traction.

FWD was almost universally adopted by the auto industry, not because its
better, but because its cheaper. Then the marketing gurus took over and
started the "better on ice, snow and rain" myth.

You'll note that Mercedes never signed up - they know better.

Also, the best car on snow was and still is the old VW bug. The engine
is over the drive wheels, giving great traction and the steering tires
are free to do what they are supposed to do - steer!

Tom
www.kegkits.com