Hi Andrew,
    Glad you enjoyed your trip to Va.  We live near Petersburg and I'm
planning a trip similar to yours except I hope to take the 911.    Looking
at the 3rd week of Oct. If you could list in general your iteniary I'd llike
to take a look and consider some of the same places?

    As far as F wheel bearings.  They typically have a couple of sounds -
one is like a roar that gets louder with speed - I can only describe it as a
giant fan spinning making a giant wind noise.  You may also feel a looseness
when going around corners - almost like the wheel is tilting as you turn.

    Replacing the WBs is not a difficult job - jack the front end up and
place securely on jack stands - remove the wheels/tires, remove the 2 bolts
holding the caliper on and hang it to chassis with some wire.   Then remove
the small grease cap and you;ll see the bearing nut and the outer bearing.
Remove the nut and wiggle the hub off the spindle - the outer bearing will
fall out so catch it to keep it falling in the dirt.   Use a screw driver to
remove the inner grease seal (a new one should always be used) & the inner
WB can then be removed, then, with a long punch placed into the center of
the hub, feel for the small ledge of the WB race  (the solid part of the WB
that the bearings ride upon)  that portrudes into the center of the hub and
slowly tap the punch and drive the ace out working your way around so it
doesn't become cocked.  Keep tapping  until the race falls out.  When I say
"tap", it may require more energetic hitting than that implies. Once done,
flip the hub over and repeat on the inner race.

    Before reassembly, get a tube of appropriate grease fom the MB dealer -
it comes in a tube with exactly enough to do 2 wheels - fold the tube in
half to equally divide it and cut in half - you'll have a container for each
wheel.

    Start the new races (I like to use a piece of wood and a hammer) into
the hub and place grease into the center portion of the hub.  Before putting
the WBs into place, pack grease into all the roller pins (that's the actual
WBs).  Part of the grease goes into the WBs and part into the cap.  There's
a small copper thingie that attaches to the axle to cut down radio static -
my WB kit came with new ones.(from Rusty).

    Slip the bearings into place and snug the nut down.  This is where
"feel"  comes into play.   Tighten it and test the tightness by using the
tip of a scrrewdriver to move the washer back and forth.  A small amount of
force should be needed but you should not have to really put weight behind
it. Kind of like the force to move a 10# weight.   Too tight will cause the
WBs to overheat and fail quickly.  Next put the caliper (now's a good time
to replace the brake pads)  wheel /tire and you're pretty much done.  Now
you can do the other side ;-)

    Now come back and visit Va again - there's a lot to see!
;-)        Good luck -

Take Care,
Larry T
http://youroil.net