andrew strasfogel wrote:
I have a can of Biobor algaecide that came with the car but the directions
are quite complicated, not to mention hard to read, as they are printed in a
twisted way around the can.

This stuff?
http://www.silmid.com/biobor/biocide.htm

Incidentally, the inline fuel filter is sparkling clear - not a speck of
crud in it.  Another question - is it normal for there to be a release of
air (or vacuum) when I remove the fuel filler cap?

It is if your tank vent is clogged. I bet the mud wasps have paid your tank vent a visit, doesn't sound like you need the biobor. Algae clogs the inline filter quite visibly in my 300SD when I'm afflicted.

Mitch.