Hardness is generally related to price, with hard pads "lifetime" costing more. The cheap pads generally last well over 100k. I have not seen any poor quality brake pads in decades.

Put the ceramics in if you are racing. Put the cheap ones in if you are just driving to work or across country. The cheap ones always work, will dust, and DON'T make you "pucker" various parts of your body on the first stop on a cold morning. The cheap ones are prone to fade under hard continued braking, as in racing. I do not recommend them for track events at MBCA events, or other track events. That said, the cheap ones do well for everyday driving. If you live in WA and plan to coast down mountainsides without the benefit of engine braking, then put in the ceramics, and heed ernests warning.

My R75/5 has the fantabulous "dual leading edge" front brake. IF the front brake is cold and damp, or if you are riding in the rain , it has only 2 modes: off and locked up. To counter this you have to gingerly tap the brake lever as you first start off, riding in a straight line., then gradually ride the brake harder and more often until the brake is warm and dry. TO start off otherwise results in severe road rash. It is a great braking system in the warm and dry. It also will not hold you much from rolling backwards. That is a problem in places like Burlington IA, Dubuque, and San Fran. I made the mistake once of tapping the front brake for the first time before I had fully straightened up turning onto the road from the driveway. Went down Smack. One other time, I came over a hill in the rain to a line of stopped cars on an bridge, grabbed a handfull of brake and the front locked because it was wet, and the rear slid out from under me because I had one of those hard badyear sportster tires on the back. Went down Smack, and was lucky not to get run over. It was a short time until I had a Metzler tire on the rear. I always wanted to put a disk brake on the front, but never have. That experience is one of the reasons why i like softer tires that grip really well as opposed to hard uniroyals that will wear 100k miles, but slip if you spit in front of them. I believe soft, grippy tires are the best insurance you can buy. I like soft grippy brake pads too. YMMV