The shaft is relatively soft, use a pair of side cutters to cut little notches in it. A nice criss cross pattern is the go. Don't go too hard other wise you'll have two bits of shaft to throw across the garage in disgust. You'll see where the shaft attaches to the drive cog, this is the area you want to abuse. You don't need much in the way of notches, what you are trying to do is to make the shaft bigger in that little area so it grips tight again on the cog and the other advantage of the notches is that it gives the locktite something to 'bite' into. The trick with locktite is to A: get the right stuff and B: after assembly you have to turn the shaft so as the shaft does not locktite itself to anything it should not. Sort of like turn after 10 minutes and then give it another turn half an hour later. It's a fiddly job but easy to do if you know how. The first time I did it the number wheels fell out and I had a lot of fun putting it all back together.

Hendrik
just about to pull the 124 cluster out to give it a freshen up, odo works but the needles are faded and I got some sexy chrome rings to put in there

Wonko the Sane wrote:
Uh ... when I "rough up" the shaft, do I just slap it around some or do I
punch it in the stomach and maybe kick it after it falls?

(Watching a documentary on The Mafia on History Channel right now.)